Job Title: Sous Chef
Reports to: Head Chef and Café Management
Responsible for: Kitchen brigade
To work alongside the Head Chef to manage daily kitchen activities to include, but not limited to, overseeing staff, assisting with food preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness and to assist in monitoring ordering and stocking. Provides food quality and consistency by following the highest standards.
Summary of Role:
The main purpose of this role is to assist and support the Head Chef to lead a culture of creative excellence in terms both of food product/service and professional training; ensuring inspirational customer experiences and supporting strategic management and development of The Beach Café, whilst maintaining exemplary food safety and food hygiene standards.
The Sous Chef has responsibility for supporting the Head Chef and in their absence leading the kitchen brigade at the standards put in place. Supporting the Chef in the quality, provenance and profitability of the Beach Café food offerings, reflecting the values, standards and ethos of West Wittering Estate at all times.
The Sous Chef is responsible for supporting the Head Chef in the development of menus, delivery of consistently exceptional food product, purchasing stock and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Working under the direction of, and supporting the Head Chef and leading the kitchen team in their absence in:
- Providing guidance and support for kitchen staff including, but not limited to food preparation, cooking and dish plating.
- Oversee and organises kitchen stock and ingredients, being able to effectively manage and order stock control in chef’s absence, ensuring stock control meets the demands.
- Supervising all food preparation and presentation to ensure high quality at all times.
- Coordinate with the Head Chef and Café Management team on supply ordering, budgets, kitchen efficiency and staffing levels.
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets our quality standards.
- Comply with and enforce sanitation regulations and safety standards.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with co-workers and customers.
- Ensure that you act in the best interests of the business at all times through understanding the business strategy and how the business fits within the wider hospitality industry and community in which it operates.
- Work with senior management, including Café Management and the Head Chef to proactively support a customer centred approach and drive behavioural change through encouraging others to seek and act on feedback.
- Lead by example to promote business and social responsibility and act as a role model to ensure self and team are consistently operating in an empathetic, fair and professional manner, being accountable for the commercial and social success of the company.
- Comply with and enforce all company policies, standards and legislative requirements relevant to maintaining effective performance, communication, training and good business reputation; including Food Hygiene, Fire, Health & Safety Regulations, HASSAP, COSHH, attending relevant training as required.
- Represent West Wittering Estate and our values in your general conduct and in your dealings with customers, trainees, partners, suppliers and others, delivering on West Wittering Estates Core Values of Achievement, Belief, Commitment, Integrity, Passion, Positivity and Respect.
- To support the Head Chef, and in their absence, forecast menu sale items, stock levels are to be maintained at a level to satisfy peak periods, while wastage levels are minimised.
- To adhere to the stock management system as put in place by the Chef, ensuring the asset is always stored appropriately, monitored, dated with U/B dates and rotated accordingly.
- All wastage is to be meticulously recorded for accounting purposes.
- Deliveries checked for temperature control, quality and accuracy against the original purchase with deviances noted and communicated with supply chain.
- Assist with the formal monthly stock valuation conducted at the close of every month.
- To support the Head Chef in the management of the kitchen, filling in as Head Chef in their absence.
- To hold the ‘food vision’ for the company, working alongside the Chef and supporting decisions for updating and refreshing the food offering, recipe/menu development – while staying true to the ethos of the business.
- To ensure a smooth and efficient service, maintaining communication with the Head Chef and Café Management when necessary, with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Ensure the kitchen is a secure, safe and inspirational environment for all.
- Ensure all the ingredients used in the Café comply with the Food Ethos Guidelines that no ingredients are used unless and until they have been discussed with management.
- Ensure all menus are in The Beach Café Style, in line with our Food Ethos and make the best use of ingredients including consideration of cost, GP, local supply and seasonality.
- Assist the Chef in ensuring all departments and key personnel are briefed on menu items, communicating all relevant provenance, allergen, nutritional and other distinctive information, especially for new items.
- In the Head Chef’s absence, manage the ordering, storage and rotation of stock in line with company policies and Kitchen Management System to minimise waste and maximise freshness and value of the product, communicating effectively with the Management Team as required. To also support the Head Chef with these during their work days.
- Acknowledge and ensure that the Head Chef is aware of any maintenance required for kitchen equipment so this can be reported to the Café Management. In the absence of the Chef, ensure the Café Manager fulfils their responsibility for maintenance of kitchen equipment and that it is used for the performance of kitchen duties safely and following instructions, ensuring all kitchen staff are trained to operate equipment safely an standards are maintained. To support the Head Chef that this is achieved with risk assessments and training manuals.
- In the absence of the Chef, ensure the Café Manager has all necessary and accurate time sheets, stock sheets (using technology and equipment effectively) temperature sheets, wastage sheets for the kitchen as and when required.
Food Safety & Health and Safety
- Maintenance, management and recording of HACCP system.
- To assist the Head Chef in ensuring any and all relevant risk assessments are created, on file and communicated where appropriate.
- Accident and near miss recording and reporting.
- On-going training needs analysis of culinary teams, with relevant up to date training planned, costed and presented for sign off.
- Support the cleaning schedule as put in place by the Head Chef and ensure the schedules are completed daily/weekly/monthly and quarterly including cleaning and deep cleaning schedules.
People & Team:
- Responsible to Head Chef and Café Management
- Support the Chef in continuous developing people strategy and for the recruitment, selection, induction and training of staff and apprentices as and when required.
- Acknowledge and implement the clear vision of the kitchen as set out by the Head Chef, defining success and clear objectives for the team so they know the expectations and understand what they have to deliver.
- Support the performance reviews of staff as undertaken by the Chef and monitor all performance objectives set in place for staff. Communicating with the Chef with any observations and relevant, supportive notices.
- Support the development, coaching or performance meeting with staff as and when appropriate.
- It is the responsibility of the Head Chef to liaise with the Café Management in order to complete correct new starter procedures, however you should support, add input and assist in the schedule induction programme as required.
- Support the Head Chef in managing the team to take pride in their role through demonstrating a consistently positive and professional approach to communication, helping all staff to feel in control and not stressed through everybody working to clear expectations and objectives using great system procedures.
- A professional hands-on operator.
- The Sous Chef will need to complete a First Aid Level 3 qualification, Food Hygiene and Fire Safety courses within the workplace. The successful candidate will also be required to assist the Head Chef to ensure staff are trained on Food Hygiene annually.
- This job description is a guideline only and is not exhaustive. You may be required to perform other duties which are not expressly listed but are in keeping with general purpose of your role and we reserve the right to make changed